The Kitesurfing Outreach Project is an incentive program for children to do well at school and home.
Children are selected to take part in the program, usually 2 at a time. The kids are first taught to swim by the volunteers, and later receive kitesurfing lessons from the volunteer and a professional kitesurfing instructor. The volunteer receives 12 hours of kitesurfing lessons from an IKO certified instructor from BEST Kiteboarding Cape Town. The volunteer and child are able to take their kitesurfing lessons at the same time. Once the volunteer has completed their hours, they can mentor the child further in swimming, beach kite flying or kitesurfing at the skill level the child is ready for. This results in the children being involved in the sport, keeping them off the streets and opening doors for job opportunities or sponsorship.
As This project is weather dependent and only runs on Saturdays and school holidays, the volunteer will also be able to be involved in any one of our other volunteer projects at no extra charge.
• Teach a child to swim and kitesurf at one of the top 5 kitesurfing destinations in the world.
• Learn how to kitesurf while giving a child an opportunity to learn with you.
• This project is very flexible, giving you the choice of the hours and amount of hours to work .
• You can join in on any other volunteer projects at no extra cost.
• Volunteers receive 12 hours lessons which should be enough to get their IKO certificate.
• Airport pick up.
• Orientation and welcome BBQ Three meals a day.
• 12 hours of kitesurfing lessons.
• Weekly social events.
• Transport to and from the program.
• 24 hour support and supervisor on project.
• Donation to the NPO to assist with projects.
This project is very flexible. The hours and amount of hours worked is determined by the volunteer.
If volunteers want, they can also be involved in any of the other projects on days when there are no lessons (school days & days with no wind). The volunteer will need to have basic level of fitness and swimming skills.
• Project starts: Every Monday
• Location: Blaauwberg/TableView, Cape Town
• Minimum duration: 2 weeks
• Police clearance
• Minimum age 16
• Basic level of competency in English
• Copy of return flight itinerary
• Volunteers ability to swim and medium level of fitness
Average Working Day:
• The program is run only on Saturdays or school holidays.
• The volunteers and children in the project receive 12 hours of kitesurfing lessons, after which the volunteers help the children with swimming, kite flying or kitesurfing practice.
• On bad weather days or days when the children are at school volunteers can join in on one of the other volunteer projects or spend the time enjoying the sites and activities Cape Town has to offer.