There are ten projects in four locations. Each project runs for two weeks. You can choose to do a project in either 2 or 3 locations, and then travel between the chosen projects and tour the country at your own pace on the fun and convenient hop-on hop-off shuttle service, the Baz Bus.
This package allows you to volunteer in both urban and rural parts of the country and get a deeper insight into South Africa. You can also mix-and-match humanitarian and conservation projects and be involved in helping both South Africa’s people and wildlife. The experience would not be complete without some fun exploring along the Baz Bus route between projects.
How this works
Choose between Option 1 and Option 2
- 2 x 2 week volunteer placements
- Meals & accommodation for 4 weeks while volunteering
- Baz Bus ticket
- 3 x 2 week volunteer placements
- Meals & accommodation for 6 weeks while volunteering
- Baz Bus ticket
Choose any 2 or 3 projects below.
Project 1: Urban Humanitarian Project Cape Town
- Settlement Project
- School & Educare Assistance
- Skills Development
- Disabled Children Assistance
- Adventure Surf Club
- Kitesurfing Outreach Project
A choice of a Cape Point, Wine Route or Township Tour.
Project 2: Rural Project Chintsa, Wild Coast
Project 3: Rural Conservation Project Wildlife Sanctuary
3. Fly to either Cape Town or Johannesburg.
4. Head off to your first project immediately or hop on the Baz Bus and begin your travels.
If you start on:
- Project 1 - you will be collected from Cape Town airport and taken to your project
- Project 2 - you will be collected from either Cape Town or Johannesburg airport and taken to a backpackers lodge close to the airport and on the Baz Bus route. From here you can travel on the Baz Bus to your project
- Project 3 Working Wildlife Sanctuary - you will be collected from Johannesburg airport and taken to your project
- Project 3 Big Cat Project - You will receive a return shuttle from Johannesburg airport to Bloemfontein where you will be collected and taken to the project site.
5. Begin your travels on the Baz Bus from either Cape Town or Johannesburg. You have as much time to hop-on and hop-off at Baz Bus stops between your projects.
Project starts: every Monday
Location: Cape Town, Cintsa and/or Nelspruit or Hartebeespoort
Minimum duration: 4 weeks + travel time
- Police clearance (not required for conservation projects)
- Minimum age of 18
- Basic level of competency in English
- Copy of return flight itinerary
- Acceptance subject to availability of position
Accommodation will depend on the projects that you are working on.
Volunteers will receive 3 meals a day. These include:
- Breakfast: self help breakfast of cereals, fruit, yogurt, toast & spreads
- Lunch: self help lunch of breads, fruit, cold meats & spreads
- Dinner: a hot meal will be served every night. These range from a traditional BBQ, stews, casseroles, fresh vegetable etc.
- Tea and coffee will be available all day
- All dinners will include a meat, starch and vegetable
- All other drinks will be at own expense
- A refrigerator is available for volunteer’s personal food
Important reminder: Participants must advise SAVE of their dietary needs
- Volunteers will travel around South Africa on the Baz Bus
- The host organization will arrange transport to the volunteer project from the closest Baz Bus stop
- On project days the volunteers will be transported by private car or mini bus. The vehicles are
roadworthy and have all relevant licenses and liability insurance
- Airport pick up as in Step 4
- Baz Bus ticket
- Accommodation & meals while on the projects
Accommodation & meals between projects will be to your own expense.